After we were in bed last night the Captain came over the loudspeaker to tell us that there had been a 5.9 earthquake in Crete, our destination. According to the reports there wasn’t any damage.
We were up earlier today and after a late breakfast, Sam, Mike and I disembarked. Because it was cold and we didn’t have any specific destination in Crete, we gave both the kids the option to stay on the ship. Jason chose to spend the day in the kids program but Sam chose to come with us.
We docked on the NW side of Crete. Once off the ship we caught one of the bus shuttles to downtown Chania. We enjoyed just wandering the streets. We stumbled upon a public park that had fenced in antelope and peacocks. There we saw the weirdest looking tree. It was huge and it looked like it was growing roots down from the branches.
Sam and I especially enjoyed looking in the shops. Sam bought a necklace with a shell dolphin which the street vendor wrote her name on. She also got a beautiful sun dress. We found a shark tooth necklace for Jason. We even bumped in to our New York friends. After a couple of hours we headed back to the ship.
Back on board, Sam and I went to tell Jason that we were back and Sam decided to stay for a bit. They both had fun and Mike and I had some nice alone time.
After dinner I started to feel nauseous. The seas were quite rough and we could feel the movement of the boat. I went down to the medical station and grabbed a few sea sick pills from the large basket in the waiting room and then laid down for a while.
I was back up by 9pm in time to head down to “Family Disco”. Samantha had seen it listed in the schedule of events and wanted to go. When we arrived there wasn’t anyone there and they were playing Old McDonald. The event planner said hello and the kids requested songs that they liked. The planner went off to tell the DJ. We were still the only ones there but the kids and I danced on the dance floor. Not impressed, Mike and I took the kids and left. We stopped to grab a soda and then talked about what to do next. Samantha had a tear in her eye when she realized we weren’t going back to the dance floor. She had no problem being the only ones in the bar and she wanted to go back. So back we went…and Samantha tore up the dance floor. We only got Jason out there for one song and Mike will only Two Step so it was just Sam and I, and I was just there to keep her company.
Samantha is going to be our party girl. She looked perfectly natural on the dance floor. Even when she was in Miss Marilyn’s wedding at age two and half, we couldn’t get her off the dance floor. Mike got some cute videos of her at Family Disco. She continues to request specific songs until the DJ realized what type of music she wanted to dance to. It was only an hour but a lot of fun, even if we were the only ones there.

No comments:
Post a Comment