Today we celebrated the Christmas Holiday in the office with pizza and a white elephant gift exchange. The admin in our office coordinated the party so I hitched a ride with her while she ran errands around the compound. We stopped by the PX so I could grab a gift for the gift exchange. I selected a book of Dilbert cartons. Then we went to “The Boardwalk” to order the pizza. The Boardwalk consists of a wide wooden covered walkway in the shape of a large square, close to 100 yards on each side. The exterior is lined with miscellaneous shop and food vendor trailers. This is also where we have our very own T.G.I. Fridays. The interior of the square houses a “street hockey” rink, a few scattered picnic tables, as well as basketball and sand volleyball courts. It was unusually cold this morning so we weren’t at the Boardwalk for long. After that we picked up ice and headed back to work.
We gathered in the hall just before noon for pizza. Now when I say pizza, don’t think Jets or Little Caesars. Think more along the lines of cafeteria cardboard pizza. Not great, but edible. After lunch we lingered in the hallway for the White Elephant Gift Exchange. It was a great deal of fun; about 20 of us participated. There was a wide variety of gifts selected from the PX. Misc snacks, DVDs, books, baseball cap, socks and lotion. The hottest gifts exchanging hands were the two teddy bears dressed up in DCUs. They were adorable. I was number 13 in the line-up and I tried to snag a bear but later it was taken from me again. In the end I took home a multifunctional headscarf. Think of the buffs on Survivor. The most common use for it here is to cover your mouth to minimize how much dust you inhale.
When I got back to my room I Skyped home. The internet connection in our rooms is slow but free. It was nice to be able to see the family.
No comments:
Post a Comment