Monday, December 13, 2010

Saying Goodbye

I woke up Sunday morning to the sound of Jason and Samantha laughing.  When I was packing I found one of the kids DVDs in the luggage.  They were watching it when I went into the living room.  I sat with them for a few minutes before getting ready to go.  It started snowing during the night and was still snowing when I left for the airport. 
In the time leading up to my deployment I had the opportunity to spend quality individual time with both kids.  Samantha and I went to Girl Scout Leader/Daughter Camp for a whole weekend together.  The weekend was exceptionally planned by our Neighborhood Service Unit Manager with the perfect amount of activities.  The schedule allowed Samantha and I to enjoy the weekend at our own pace.  It was a fantastic memory and we will definitely go again if we have the opportunity (and I am NOT the camping type).
Jason planned a date for the two of us.  After work on a Friday he took me out for a special dinner at Fire Mountain Buffet.  After school Jason showered and dressed in fancy clothes that are usually shoved in the far corner on his closet.  I didn’t ask him to, he is just a great kid and this was a special night.  At dinner he gave me a Christmas present (a silver heart necklace) that he had purchased at the school Santa Shoppe.  We shared a very special evening together and we agreed that we definitely want to schedule regular dinner dates like that one when I get back.
I wanted to give the kids something special the day I left.  I found matching heart necklaces that said “mother” and “daughter” at Claires.  I ordered dog tags for Jason.  After everyone was piled in the van, I grabbed the large stuffed animals I had stashed away and set one on each kid’s bed with a note.  Then we were off.  Once at the airport, we hugged and kissed at the curb.  I gave Jason his dog tags and Samantha her necklace and showed them that I was wearing my two hearts too (the one Jason gave me and the one that matches Sam’s).  I did see a tear in the corner of Samantha’s eye but the kids were great.  I said good-bye, grabbed my bags and was off.
Apparently early Sunday afternoon is not a popular time to fly because the airport was quiet and still.  While walking down the long empty corridor, it hit me.  I knew it would, I just didn’t know when.  I thought to myself “what did I do?”  I was prepared for this and was able to shake it off.  On the short flight I read reports and presentations my office had sent me to help familiarize myself for the work ahead.  Before I knew it we were landing.
My parents live about an hour and a half from the Deployment Center so they picked me up at the airport and drove me to the hotel so I didn’t have to take a shuttle.  After I checked in we went to dinner and having seen the refrigerator in my room, the grocery store.  After saying goodbye to my parents, I called home.  The kids were fine.  I told myself “of course they were”.  I unpacked and went to bed.  It was going to be an early morning and a busy week.

No comments:

Post a Comment