Today is officially my one month mark. Mike says that everything is fine and I really do believe him. I am so lucky to be able to focus on the mission here without worrying about what is going on at home. He is such a good Daddy.
Tonight I made a new friend… while lying in the dirt. My coworker and I decided to break from work and walk up to the DFAC for dinner. The food was the usual disaster but we ate it anyway and headed back. Half way back to the compound we heard a huge thud. My friend said "I think that was a rocket". I replied, "probably not because the alarms didn’t go off". We kept walking and a few seconds later, the alarms went off. We dropped to the ground then took shelter behind a structure. We're supposed to find a bomb shelter but we didn't see any close so we just stayed there. A very nice French guy had the same idea so we weren't alone. We had a delightful conversation with him. That is one of the coolest aspects of this base, the people, not the rocket attacks. I learned about his job and what life in the French Air Force is like. He was also married with two kids at home. He was a great guy and although he apologized for his English, I had no problem understanding what he was trying to say. While we were there we heard a few more rockets hit and we were in the dirt again. It was probably an hour or so before we finally got the all clear. We said goodbye to our new friend and headed back. What a great experience this is!
No comments:
Post a Comment