Monday, January 10, 2011

Spinning

We are constantly reminded that there are people who want us dead.  I just didn’t think the Spinning Instructor at the NATO gym would be one for them.  That workout was intense!  I had heard good things about the classes here so my co-worker and I decided to give it a try last night.  We had already heard that you must have separate gym shoes that have not been worn outside, so armed with our plastic AAFES bag of shoes and our reflective belts we headed to the gym.  It is about a 15 minute walk from our compound.  Once we arrived we switched shoes in the entryway and went inside.  The first line we stood in was to gain access to the gym.  Even though the gym is huge, there are a lot of people here and it was packed.  The line moved slow but steady and after about 20 minutes we were at the counter where we exchanged our dog tags for a locker key.  After putting away our jackets and dusty shoes, we went and stood in the line to sign up for the spinning class.  There are only about two dozen bikes, if that, in the class so we had to stand in line to be able to get a spot.  The line went right through the center of the weight machines so there were people working out on both sides of us.  It occurred to me that we were spending quite a bit of time waiting to work out.  (From the time we left our compound until the start of the class was about 90 minutes.)  Half an hour before the class started, registration opened and our line started moving.  This time when we got to the counter we got a pair of bike shoes that clip into the bike.  In the class we snagged two bikes along the wall. 
The instructor gave us a quick rundown of how to appropriately adjust our bike, then class began.  The seat was horribly uncomfortable but I learned that was a mute point as most of the spinning class is spent standing.  I was proud of myself for finishing the class (and staying on the bike).  The walk home felt good but I am going to be sore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment