Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 17 – End of Cruise and Sad Good-bye

We were up early and enjoyed one last buffet breakfast together on the ship before I disembarked to get the rental car.  Mike and the kids hung out in the cabin to wait for our scheduled departure time.  I was glad to be able to get through the maze of people and onto the shuttle without being encumbered by luggage.
In my research I found that renting a car was actually less expensive than a shuttle to the airport for four.  It also provided the opportunity to do something other than wait at the airport.
Yesterday the movie “One for the Money” came out.  I am on the sixth book in the series by Janet Evanovich and the movie was based on the first one.  I really wanted to see the movie so we went looking for a movie theater.  Following the turn by turn directions on my phone we ended up back at Universal Studios City Walk.  There was no entry charge but it still cost $15 to park.  The movie was rated PG-13 so I was willing to risk taking the kids.  Sadly, I didn’t think the movie was good at all.  I do not recommend seeing it.  If you enjoy the books, I definitely do not recommend it because it ruined the characters I envisioned in my head (which are of course way better).
After the movie we made our way to a Wal-mart so I could pick up another bottle of moisturizer to take with me.  Then through a drive-through and off to the airport.
It is so hard to say good-bye.  Holding a crying 8 year old while watching an 11 year old try not to cry makes it worse.  Because we were leaving from the same terminal I expected to be able to sit with them at the gate but once we were through security I realized that I had to take a tram to my gate.  We said our final good-byes and with a heavy heart I was off.
My flight was uneventful.  Luckily this direction has a tail wind so the 16 hour flight to get the US takes only 14 hours to get back.  But really, 14 hours on a plane is insane.  I am sitting at the airport waiting for my friend Bimi to get in.  Her flight is over an hour late but all we are doing is going to the hotel to rest before our early morning flight so I’m in no hurry.
The Dubai International Airport is a fascinating place to people watch.  I am not much for fashion but I am completely intrigued by how people dress in the Middle East.  In addition to the clothes, the shoes alone are interesting.  Because Dubai is such an international destination, there is a great deal of diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment