As I sit here typing from the sofa of our cabin, I can see Athens out the window. After a fantastic excursion this morning, we are just relaxing now. Mike is watching TV, Samantha is listening to the iPod (correction…by the time I finished this blog entry she was asleep) and Jason is at the Kids Program. Jason loves hanging out up there but Samantha wasn’t impressed and would rather stay with us.
This morning we were up early for a 7:45am excursion time. After a hearty buffet breakfast we boarded a bus with a fantastic tour guide who narrated our drive through Athens.
We passed several beautiful buildings before our first stop at the Panathinaiko Stadium. Originally built in 566 BC with wooden seats and then rebuilt in 329BC with white marble, it hosted the first modern Olympics in 1896.
The tour highlight was a visit to the Acropolis (which means “high city” in greek) to see the architectural masterpieces built in the latter part of the 5th century BC.
| The lighter colored marble is new. They expect in another 10 years it will fade and match the existing. |
| I love this photo. She was using a rock to write her name on another rock. |
| We could see the Panathinaiko Stadium from the Acropolis. |
It had started to rain right at the start but quickly cleared up. I’ll use the excuse that the rocks were slippery for my less than graceful fall. Luckily I had the sweatshirts in the backpack to break my fall. Again the kids got a kick out of this mom story. Two in a row.
We returned to the ship early afternoon. We grabbed a quick lunch then headed to the pool. The weather on this trip has been absolutely delightful but not exactly swimming weather. The kids swam for a while but it wasn’t the temperature that got to them but the salt water in the pool. They dried off and Jason headed to the kids program while Sam played in the room. Another successful day.

No comments:
Post a Comment