Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rome - Trevi Fountain and Victor Emmanuel Monument

When I work up I saw that it was barely light outside.  I checked my watch and found that it was 6am.  I couldn’t believe that I had slept 18 hours straight.  After three months waking up to an alarm, my body definitely took advantage of the chance to catch up on sleep.  Now I was in a panic to get to the airport to meet Mike and the kids.
Luckily their flight was late so I arrived just in time.  As I stood outside the frosted doors waiting for them to arrive I felt my eye welling up with tears.  I was so excited.  I saw Mike first followed by Sam then J.  I hugged and kissed the kids and didn’t want to let them go.  They were excited too as they both talked nonstop the entire way back to the flat.
Rome is 5 hours later than Detroit and it was still middle of the night for the kids so we all took a nap.  It was nice to cuddle up with Mike but after an hour I was awake so I got up while the rest of the family slept.  J and Mike woke up on their own but I had to wake up Sam.  It was mid-afternoon before we headed out.
The maps are deceiving here.  Everything is so much closer together than I am used to in the States so when the map shows three blocks, it is really no further than from our house to the end of the block back home.  The Metro is right up the street so the location of our flat is perfect.
After we got off the Metro we had our first taste of Gelato.  Our vet had told the kids about Italy and the kids took note of the Gelato.  Ice Cream in hand we continued on to our first stop, Trevi Fountain.  Sam had requested to go here after seeing it in the Lizzie McGuire Movie. 

Not having a set plan of where to go and what to see, we just started walking.  Our next stop was the Victor Emmanuel Monument (begun in 1885 and inaugurated in 1911 in honor of Victor Emmanuel II, the first king of unified Italy.)  From here we had a fabulous view of Rome.


Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (WWI)






We headed back to the flat via Metro and grabbed Italian takeout from a bar at the end of the street that the flat owners recommended.  It was faboulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment