Monday, March 7, 2011

Care Packages

Yesterday was one of the most rewarding days here.  At the Seabee Picnic my friend mentioned that she was going to be sorting through care packages sent to “Any Soldier” and could use a hand.  I jumped at the chance to help.  I had no idea how much work it would be or how mentally refreshed I would feel at the end of the day.  Any soldier packages are sent by organizations specifically established to allow Americans the opportunity to support our troops without having to know any one soldier personally.  Unfortunately, while all the items are useful and appreciated, it is rare that one box will fit the needs exactly so we opened the boxes and sorted the donations.
We sorted through lots of food items, fun stuff like dice and cards and personal hygiene items.  But it was the clothing items that got us the most excited.  The Navy unit my girlfriend works for supports the “Wounded Warriors”.  When soldiers are injured they are immediately scooped up and brought to Role 3 (our hospital).  Most of the time their clothes are cut off them and they don’t have any of their gear.  Things like broken legs don’t require a stay in the hospital but they still can’t return to their unit so they are transferred to the Wounded Warrior tent to heal.  They are always looking for volunteers as is Role 3 so after R&R I will see what I can do to lend a hand.
While I am a little sore physically, I feel completely refreshed mentally.  Since I arrived I have been staring at the computer literally all day every day.  Working out in the fresh air doing something physical instead of mental was just the break I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment