I have done really well not spending money needlessly, until tonight. My roommate really wanted to go to the Boardwalk for dinner so I caved and we dined at TGI Fridays. (I can’t believe I didn’t have my camera on me. That will be an excuse to go back.) My roommate was surprised that I have gone three months without buying any food. Even though the food at the DFAC isn’t the greatest, I don’t have to think about it, shop for it, prepare it, or clean up after it. Heck, I don’t even have to wait for it. I just walk up to the counter and point, and the best part is it’s free (actually the tax payers are paying for it so thanks.)
Anyway, I ordered sizzling chicken and cheese which was two small chicken breasts (which are the same as the DFAC) on a platter with cheese. The menu advertised mashed potatoes were replaced with fries. $16 for that. To drink I ordered bottled water. No water. I was shocked. Bottled water is delivered by the pallet to every building on base. So I splurged and ordered a strawberry margarita. (Virgin of course as Afghanistan is a dry country.) For $6 I had hoped for something close but it was more like a strawberry smoothie.
Despite the overpriced food, the conversation was pleasant and for a moment I really felt like I was in a real restaurant. (Being completely surrounded by weapons doesn’t even phase me anymore.)
No comments:
Post a Comment